Why are some companies able to achieve operational excellence better than others? How do we know whether or not a company is operationally excellent? Who are the avatars for operational excellence?
I am asked these questions often by clients, prospects and colleagues. Let me answer these questions with some examples.
Some companies are able to achieve operational excellence because of their mindset. The organization has a relentless pursuit in doing things faster and better. Employees are empowered to make decisions in the best interest of the company and its stakeholders, there is a culture of innovation, the best people want to work there and accountability and results are measured.
For example, why has Walmart achieved operational excellence?
- They have strong collaboration with business partners-they work with suppliers to improve processes and reduce costs
- They are always looking for new and innovative ways to operate-they are never satisfied with the status quo
- They engage their customers in selecting new products
- They attract the best and brightest people and retain them
- They take industry leadership positions-they are the foremost company on areas like sustainability
If you want to know where you stand, email me and ask about my free operational excellence assessment.