|Miller’s Monday Morning Message
presented by ACM Consulting Inc.
Andrew Miller on operational excellence, strategy, life balance and everything in between
Toronto – May 13, 2013
I was fortunate enough to spend a few days last week with some of the finest healthcare leaders in Canada, both on the provider and the industry side of the equation. Based on the many discussions I had with them and my own experiences, here are a few observations:
- Providers and suppliers are trying to accomplish the same goals-Everyone involved ultimately wants to find a more cost effective healthcare system and one that improves patient care. The challenge is aligning short-term goals to ensure that happens.
- No solution can happen without the involvement of government-This may even mean that government needs to step back and alleviate some of the legislation that hinders health care leaders. As it stands, some of the legislation is counter-productive and only makes it harder for leaders to do their jobs.
- There is a lot to learn from different areas of the country-Although each region is different, many of the challenges are the same (aging population, mounting legislation, reduced budgets, and so on). We need to do a better job of sharing solutions and best practices from across the country.
- There is a leadership gap-Many of the healthcare leaders have a great deal of experience and have been in the industry for years. It is not yet obvious where the next generation of healthcare leaders will come from. Organizations need to do a better job of succession planning to ensure that this gap gets minimized.
- Perception is not reality-Many industry organizations assume that the roadblocks and constraints happen at the individual organization level. In fact, many of the largest challenges to overcome were not created by the individual organizations, and they are struggling just as much as industry to overcome them.
“It’s amazing what can happen when you bring some of the best minds together and talk about specific issues and opportunities,” says Andrew Miller, president of ACM Consulting. “You realize that it is not hard to find common areas of interest and benefit. The problem is that we don’t provide enough forums for all of the parties to come together and develop the right solutions.”
To request an interview or more information, please contact:
© Andrew Miller. All rights reserved. 2013.