To achieve Operational Elegance, you need to score well in two areas: technical and artistic. Just like the best figure skaters and gymnasts, elegant organizations are both technically sound as well as graceful and flexible.
Rank yourself from 1-5 for each statement in these two areas.
- We focus on one priority (the single fastest and most effective way to achieve our ideal future state)
- We replicate internal best practices across the organization
- We practice optimal speed (we know when to speed up and when to slow down to maximize results)
- We identify and maximize impact from our best ideas
- We practice operational transparency (we share information so employees understand decision-making and customers are more empowered)
- We measure outcome, not activity level
- We know who our ideal customers are
- We have a clearly communicated ideal future state and ensure everything wee do aligns to it
- We know who our best and next best employees are and focus on their development and retention
- We have processes that focus on efficiently achieving the right outcomes
- We communicate the expected behaviours for peak employee performance
- We hire for where we are going, not where we are
- We encourage healthy debate and productive failure
- We don’t tolerate poor performance