The key to success for any organization is hiring the right people. It’s important to look for people who not only have the right skills, but also want to develop both personally and professionally.
There are three key attributes you should be looking for when recruiting new people: attitude, skills, and mindset.
When you find employees that have the right mix of attitude, skills and mindset, you are able to maximize profitability.
- Silo Creation-Right attitude and competency, wrong mindset(someone focused on their own individual goals and accomplishment)
- Talent drain-Right competency and mindset, wrong attitude(someone with no loyalty or passion for the organization)
- Productivity loss-Right attitude and minder, wrong competency(someone who simply can’t ad value, despite enthusiasm and being a good person)
- Profit maximization-Right attitude, mindset and competency(someone who constantly adds value to the organization)
There are four keys to attracting the best people:
- Always be on the lookout for top talent and find a place for them when you find them
- Know where to look for them
- Know what to offer them
- Recruit, don’t hire
If you want to know if you are successful in your hiring efforts for the best people, ask yourself this question-are we the company that people line up to work for or rush out the door to leave?
Listen to my podcast for additional details on attracting the best people to your organization.
Once you are able to attract the best and brightest people to your organization, you need to keep them.
There are six steps in ensuring you keep your top people:
- Understand what a top performer should accomplish
- Develop a program to identify and reward people for achieving results, not just performing activities
- Provide growth opportunities and a comfortable work environment
- Understand the wants and desires of the top performers
- Respect and improve skills and work performed
- Take them to a higher level
For further detail, listen to my podcast.