We just completed a renovation on our house and I wanted to share some insights on how to run a successful business while you are in domicile limbo, especially for those of us running our own businesses.
- Create a space that is your own. That may be in a coffee shop or a friend’s basement or renting a small office temporarily, but find a place where you are comfortable and can be productive.
- Cut yourself some slack, but don’t make excuses. It is more difficult to run a business when you are working from unfamiliar surroundings, but don’t use that as an excuse for not being successful.
- Figure out what you NEED to run your business successfully and travel with those things. It’s amazing what can be done with a cell phone, a printer/scanner, a laptop and an Internet connection.
- If you don’t have one already, invest in a good laptop. It makes it easy to work from anywhere.
- Look at this as an opportunity to reduce infrastructure and overhead.
- Hire strong people to oversee the other parts of your life and your business (house contractor, web designer, accountant, lawyer) so you can focus on business growth.
- Take mental breaks. Find a new hobby, take the dog for a walk, exercise….find something you can do regularly to alleviate the stress.
- Lean on your support system. Being removed from your comfort zone is never easy, so lean on the people around you for support and guidance.
- Don’t be any different with clients and customers. They don’t care about your living arrangements or personal situation, so don’t look for sympathy. Maintain a positive outlook and continue to help them generate amazing results.
- Embrace the situation. Life is full of curveballs and getting through this will make you a better and more resilient person. Remember why you decided to do this in the first place.
Going through moves and renovations and house changes is never easy, but there are ways you can mitigate and reduce some of the stress. I hope you have found these helpful.