We have all sat through endless meetings that go nowhere, but we never question why this happens consistently. In order to achieve meeting excellence, here are some tips:
- Have a clear objective for the meeting – How can you expect to accomplish anything if you don’t know what needs to be accomplished?
- End the meeting when the objective has been achieved – There is no need to continue the meeting once you have achieved what you set out to achieve.
- Limit the number of people who are invited – The smaller the group, the more productive you can be. Let each attendee be responsible for bringing the outcomes back to their department.
- Meeting participants lose interest after an hour – Meetings that take longer than an hour are normally no longer productive.
- Have a clear agenda – Confirm the objective of the meeting and the agenda before getting started so everyone is focused in the same direction.
- Have clear action items – After the meeting, send out the action items, who is accountable for their completion, and by when.