Building strong relationships has become more important than ever in today's world. Building strong relationships helps us in our personal lives, in our business lives and everything in between (which for me is nothing, since I view my life as one whole entity). There are so many options out there for goods, products, services, advice, etc. that how do we know where to turn? How do we know who to choose as a business or life partner? Here are some of my thoughts on the keys to building strong relationships:
- Go with your gut – sometimes you cannot rationally justify why you feel a certain way about another person, but there is usually a good reason for it. Invest time with those people to whom your gut says "yes."
- The principle of reciprocity – if you are constantly giving, then the universe usually finds a way to reciprocate.
- Be respectful – regardless of who the person is or at what level of the organization they reside, be respectful. If someone is disrespectful to you, stand up for yourself and then walk away.
- Provide value – leave people saying "Wow, he/she is such a great source of information and really helped me out." Clients will want to work with you and personal connections will want to be around you.
- Appeal to self-interest – try to view things from the other person's perspective – what do they need? What would make things easier for them? How can I help?
There are many other keys to building successful relationships, but the ones above are essential to any strong, trusting relationship.