It is new month, the flowers are blooming, the grass is growing and golf season has started. It is a time of change. But when isn't it a time of change? The most successful companies are always changing, yet most of us have a habit of procrastinating. We even procrastinate those things we know will make us feel better or help us grow our businesses. Before tackling how to stop procrastination, we need to look at why we procrastinate. Here are seven reasons:
- Fear of rejection-We fear that if we try something, we will be turned down. No one likes to hear the word 'no.'
- Fear of success-We worry what will happen if we become successful. We might feel like an imposter waiting for someone to discover the truth about us (see Lack of confidence).
- Fear of the unknown-We always worry about what we don't know and how people will react and this causes us to freeze up.
- Complacency-We get comfortable with our routines and are hesitant to change because we know change is difficult, so we take the path of least resistance-status quo.
- Lack of confidence-We have low self-esteem and don't believe what we are doing will be valuable to others.
- Not knowing where to start-We think of things in such a broad sense that we get over-whelmed and don't know where to begin.
Often there is a simple solution to breaking through the reasons mentioned above: just start moving. If we spend some time breaking down the initiative into digestible chunks, it becomes more manageable. Once we actually take the first step towards that goal, we can overcome all of our fears.